Pappers Avdelning 51

Pappers 51
Graphic Packaging Intl. Sweden AB

Box 1,Fiskeby 601 02 Norrköping


046 011 - 15 58 46        

Tuesday 12 December 2017  

Union History FAQ About Fiskeby Enviromental Policy




More History

 The roots to the trade union of today can be dated back to 1875 when Östra Eneby  Arbetareförening ”Eastern Eneby Workers Society” was founded. Through membership in the society  it was possible to get sickness benefit. The only way. The society also had a library. Many workers from Fiskeby mill were members in the society.  25th of March 1875 ironworker Frans Oskar Söderberg became a member of the society. He was then 35 years old. 


In august 1884 Norrköping Workers Club was founded. It was a socialist society. They contributed to the rise of the workers movement through their existence and also for the fact that they published a newspaper called Proletären(Proletarian). The first edition was released  on the 17th of February 1888. Frans Oskar became a member in the club on the 26th of May 1888. 


Saturday 2nd of June 1888 there was a strike at Fiskeby mill for the demand to raise the amount for working at night from 11,5 öre to 12,5 öre. Proletären wrote about the strike; ”When  such an unblushing demand not could be fulfilled the workers went home and the machine was stopped. Eleven and a half öre per hour for night work! (100 öre = 1 swedish crown) You will be amazed when you hear  that there are  employers that are impudent enough to demand to get their work done for such a starvation wages. If some strike is justified, then it would be this. But it is unwise to take such an action without without being organized. Workers! Organize! The strike went on for some time, but on the 11th of June the workers demand was fulfilled. 


In the spring of 1889 Frans Oskar was squeezed tight in a strap running to a machine, so badly that he lost one of his arms. He was on sick leave  for 7 weeks and got 35 crowns in sickness benefit from Östra Eneby arbetareförening. Together with the workers at Holmen mill the workers at Fiskeby decided found a trade  union on a meeting on the 25th of April 1890. Frans Oskar was elected to president on the 4th of May. Just one day or so after the election a white collar at Fiskeby was writing a letter  to Carl Ekman, the chairman of the board of Fiskeby who was in Stockholm at the time, that Frans Oskar had been elected to president of the union. 


In the  beginning of June Frans Oskar was called to meet Carl Ekman. On the 13th of June you could read in Proletären about the meeting. Carl Ekman let Mr Söderberg know that even though he had lost one of his arms during work in the duty of the company, he would be fired if he did not resign from the post as president in the union. He got one month to think it over and for the reason that he had been hurt in duty he would - of pure mercy of course - get 15 crowns a month in the future if he now would be thrown out into the streets. Frans Oskar was president until the 14th of December and therefore was fired from Fiskeby. During the later time of his life he seems to have worked as a gate keeper. He died on the 1st of April 1938. 


At the turn of the years 1890 and 1891 most of the members from Fiskeby seems to have left the union. At the end it seems to have been mostly workers from Holmen left in the union. The proud union had their last meeting on the 27th of December 1891.   The standard of this union was blue and yellow. It was a gift from second class soldiers. 1891 they decided to change symbol on the standard. The new symbol was an axe. Where the standard is now is unknown but in 1896 the workers at Holmen had it. 


On the 30th of September 1895 it is decided to found a new union. On the 25th of March 1896 there is a union meeting where they discuss wages. They wish to get wages amounting to 11 crowns a week, but decides to just ask for a raise. They elect a negotiation delegation. The result of the negotiation is unknown. 

In the middle of 1897 there was a strike meeting in an attic at a street called Smålandsgatan. There were 50 persons present. They were sitting on wood benches and had a lively discussion. The question was that those workers who did not have free housing and wood had less benefits than the others. They therefore wanted an extra payment of 100 crowns per year. The result of the strike was 50 öre per week, that is around 25 crowns a year. In the middle of November there was another strike. This time it was the women that went into strike. The matter of the strike is unknown but the women were victorious. 


On the 1st of June 1898 there was yet another strike that went on for three weeks. The demand was the same as in 1897, compensation for free housing and wood. The amount demanded   was 75 crowns a year for men and 25 crowns for women. The negotiation with the company did not give wished result. They were offered 50 öre a week, but demanded at least 75 öre a week. Thereafter the strike started. It seems that the strike was too much for the union because after this time it has not been possible to find any proof for their existence. 


The next try to form a trade union was on the 31st of April  1904. Then Local 84 of Grov- och Fabriksarbetareförbundet(Unskilled and Factory workers Union) was founded.     This was the beginning of the union of today. Since then there has always been a union at Fiskeby. The first still existing local negotiation agreement is from 1905. In this agreement there is deciced, among other things, that payment on Sundays should be plus 100 % and that the workers should also have free medical care.  This year the union also took the initiative to found a social democratic youth club in Norrköping. 1907 they,  together with the Good Templars, founded a society called Fiskeby Folkets Hus(Assembly Hall). The purpose was to build  a house where they could have their meetings. The society worked on for many years but no house was ever built.  In 1909 the first study circle was organized at Fiskeby. Afterwards they donated their books to the workers community library. 


The general strike in 1909 was too much for many unions. The union at Fiskeby survived even though the number of members decreased considerably. During the strike the secretary of the union was arrested for hitting a strike-breaker. He was never convicted because the brother of the strike-breaker was a member of the union and he persuaded him to withdraw his complaint. A contributing factor to the secretarys release was also that LO sent a lawyer to his aid. 

On the 1st of November 1921 the Local joined the newly founded Paper Industry Workers Union as Local No 51. The first twenty Local in the new union draw lots to decide their numbers. After that the number says in which order the different locals have entered the union. With some exceptions, some new locals have gotten the numbers of old locals that are closed down. One of the first shop stewards  in the union was Werner Johansson from Fiskeby, he was treasurer 1914-16 and president of the local 1916-20. 


14th of March to 4th of April 1922 the Fiskeby workers were locked out due to a conflict. In 1924 the workers formed a music band. In 1927 they gave up the idea to have their own assembly hall and instead joined the Norrköping Folkets Hus society. In 1928 there was a strike for 5 weeks and in 1930 for 10 weeks. In 1932 the workers were dismissed temporarily due to lack of work. Perhaps it was therefore they had a study circle  in national economics. 


In 1932 the company is sold to Munksjö and in 1933 there is a co-operation between the unions within the new company group. In 1936 the music band is active again after been shut down for some years. From  1937 we find the first record that a Safety controller has been elected. During the second world war the activity in the union was a little low because both the president and other members of the union board  was on military service several times. 
In 1942 the company is sold to KF(Cooperative Federation) for a sum of 15 million crowns. It has been said that the chairman of KF came down from Stockholm to buy Fiskeby. He went into the waiting-room and told the secretary that she should tell the management that Johansson was here. After waiting for some hours with his check for 15 millions in his inner pocket he got a little angry. Again he told the secretary that she should tell the management that Albin Johansson was here. Then at first the management understood who they had kept waiting for hours. 

The sulfite production was closed down a number of times during the war. Te workers got other jobs in the forest at the peat bog in Svärtinge. The difference between Munksjö and KF was that now the workers got other jobs instead of being dismissed temporarily due to lack of work. 


In 1951 the working hours were decreased from 48 to 42 hours per week for shift workers. In 1955 an unemployment fund was started in the union after several tries before(1936, 1937, 1943 and 1949). The members had been against it, being of the opinion that a paper worker could not be unemployed, at least not more than a week. (The first week you did not get any compensation from the fund.) 
In 1960 the working hours for daytime workers was decreased to 45 hours per week and with every second Saturday free. 

In 1967 an agreement is signed that gives the union board the right to have their meetings during working hours. In 1970 the working hours are decreased to 40 hours per week and in 1976 they are decreased to 36 hours per week for shift workers. This year the union gets their own premises in the old school. 
In 1990 Fiskeby is sold to Manville Forest products, nowadays called Riverwood Corporation. In 1994 the union moves to a house of their own.


<< Go back


Copyright © 2005 Pappers Avdelning 51. Alla rättigheter reserverade.